Phone: (518)464-9003 | Fax: (518)464-9340 | Email: Info@thomasjordanlaw.com | 4 Pine West Plaza, Suite 409 | Albany, NY 12205
Recent Cases & Results
Contract Settlements/Interest Arbitration Awards
1. Cohoes Firefighters (May 2023) Settled a four (4) year deal in mediation (2-2-2-2) netting an 8% raise over those years with no give backs.
2. Albany Firefighters (February 2023) Settled a four (4) year deal (2.5-2.75-3.0-3.0) with additional benefits and compensation and minor give backs.
3. Glens Falls Firefighters (January 2023) Settled a four (4) year deal (1st yr. – restructured salary schedule @ 3%-3-3-4) with minor give backs.
4. Albany Retired Firefighters (February 2020) Settled a 5 year lawsuit against the City of Albany regarding Medicare Part B premium reimbursement. City to pay more than $300,000 in retroactive reimbursements and to pay all future reimbursements.
5. Guilderland Employees Association (February 2020) Guilderland Bus Drivers, Attendants and Mechanics settle a three (3) year contract with raises between 4.1% and 15.1% per year. (No one got less than 5.4 per year over the 3 years.)
6. Middletown Firefighters (May 2017) Settled an eight (8) year contract at an interest arbitration hearing with raises totaling 15.25% with retro pay and other compensation items with minor give backs.
7. Bethlehem Police settled a three (3) year contract for 2% raises in each of the three (3) years (2015-2017) and additional salary compensation steps worth an additional 3.75% to those who qualify.
8. Niskayuna Firefighters settle a four(4) year contract. Beginning 1/1/17, annual salary increases are 2.5%, 2.5%, 2.5%, 2.5% and paramedic and longevity stipends are increased.
1. May 2023: Trooper granted State Trooper disability retirement for traumatic muscle injury to leg.
2. April 2023: Arlington firefighter granted an accidental disability retirement allowance for job-related Parkinson’s Disease.
3. March 2023: Lackawanna firefighter granted an accidental disability retirement allowance for on-the-job injury to his back when a ladder unexpectedly gave way.
4. March 2023: Albany firefighter granted an accidental disability retirement allowance for job-related throat cancer.
5. March 2023: Albany firefighter granted performance of retirement allowance after a redetermination hearing. Read full decision…
6. January 2023: Schenectady firefighter granted accidental disability retirement allowance for job-related cancer.
7. December 2022: Kingston firefighter granted an accidental disability retirement allowance when he injured his hip and right leg due to a fall through a stairway during an EMS call.
1. May 2023: Cohoes Firefighters win grievance-arbitration regarding call back (overtime) of officers during mutual aid. Read full decision…
2. October 2022: Cohoes Firefighters win arbitration award expanding use of union release time. Read full decision…
3. June 2022: Tonawanda Firefighter granted 207-a benefits when Appellate Division reverses the lower court and the Chief’s decision denying her benefits, claiming she could work regular firefighting duties for several hours per day. Read full decision…
4. March 2022: Albany Firefighter Retirees win Supreme Court decision prohibiting the City from imposing new health insurance deductibles when none existed previously. Read full decision…
5. July 2021: CDTA bus drivers union successfully defends itself against a former union official’s breach of the duty of fair representation claim. Read full decision…
6. July 2021:: Judge upholds the Watervliet Firefighter retirees’ spouses right to sue the City of Watervliet for failure to provide certain health insurance benefits (Medicare Part B premium reimbursement) . Read full decision…
7. May 2020:: Albany Firefighters win hard fought case against City which illegally subcontracted their training facility work. Read full decision…
8. April 2020:: Albany Firefighters win arbitration award prohibiting the City from imposing a new $250/$500 health insurance deductible on them upon retirement. Read full decision…
9. June 2019:: NYS Supreme Court Judge overturns arbitrator’s award which failed to grant Albany Firefighter’s a remedy. Read full decision.
10. February 2019:: NYS Appellate Division reverses NYS Supreme Court Judge’s decision and restores Albany Firefighter Retirees’ Medicare Part B premium reimbursements. Read full decision.
View More Cases...
11. November 2017:: Watervliet Firefighters win arbitration award restoring Medicare Part B premium reimbursement received from City when they become Medicare eligible. Read full decision.
12. January 2014:: NYS Supreme Court confirms arbitrator’s award finding the City of Albany violated the collective bargaining agreement with the firefighters by assigning certain building inspections traditionally and exclusively done by them to non-bargaining unit members. Read full decision
13. May 2013:: Albany Firefighters win arbitration award prohibiting the City from illegally subcontracting code inspection work exclusively performed by the firefighters.